International

11 dead, 8 missing after earthquake jolts Malaysia peak

KUNDASANG, MALAYSIA: A strong earthquake that jolted Malaysia’s Mount Kinabalu killed at least 11 people and left another 8 missing, an official said Saturday, as authorities searched for survivors on Southeast Asia’s highest peak.

The 6.0-magnitude quake struck early Friday near the picturesque mountain, a popular tourist destination, sending landslides and huge granite boulders tumbling down from the 4,095-metre (13,435-foot) peak’s wide, craggy crown.

“From Kinabalu park management, I want to express my condolences to the families of the victims,” said Masidi Manjun, tourism minister for the Malaysianstate of Sabah on Borneo island, as he announced the toll at the mountain park’s headquarters.

Masidi said authorities could not yet confirm the identities of the dead and missing.

The Star newspaper later quoted unnamed search and rescue officials saying the final death toll could rise as high as 19 but there was no immediate confirmation of that figure.

The reports said the dead included members of a Singapore primary school group on an excursion to the peak, including a 12-year-old girl who was killed, as well as a local Malaysian climbing guide.

“It’s very sad. The Singapore children were so happy when they arrived here, but now…” Masidi said, trailing off as he shook his head.

Rescuers earlier on Saturday finished escorting down to safety 137 hikers who were stuck on the mountain for up to 18 hours after the quake damaged a key trail and they faced the threat of continuing rockfalls.

Crews and officials engaged in further search and rescue efforts were kept on edge, however, by aftershocks including a Saturday afternoon temblor thatMalaysian officials rated at 4.5-magnitude.

It staff and journalists scurrying out of the park’s headquarters.

Reports said most people on the mountain when the quake hit were Malaysianbut that they also included hikers from Singapore, the United States, the Philippines, Britain, Thailand, Turkey, China and Japan.

Authorities have not provided details on injuries suffered by climbers.

‘Rocks raining down fast’

Major earthquakes are rare in Malaysia and the tremor was one of the strongest in decades, jolting a wide area of Sabah and sending people fleeing outdoors.

But there have been no reports of major damage, nor any casualties outside of those on the mountain.

Masidi said all climbing would be suspended at Mount Kinabalu for at least three weeks to allow for repairs to damaged trails, accommodation and other facilities.

Malaysia’s Bernama news agency quoted a climber describing his terror as the quake unleashed a shower of large stones from the rocky peak.

“Rocks were raining down fast, like rock blasting,” Lee Yoke Fah, a 60-year-oldMalaysian who suffered minor injuries, was quoted as saying.

“I am not going to climb again, I am scared.”

Mount Kinabalu is among the top tourist attractions in a state famed for its rainforests, wild rivers and coral reefs.

Around 20,000 complete the relatively easy climb each year, usually taking two days.

The force of the tremor was so strong that it toppled one of the two “Donkey’s Ears”, towering twin rock outcroppings that form a distinctive part of the peak’s profile.

Mount Kinabalu is sacred to the local Kadazan Dusun tribe, who consider it a resting place for departed spirits.

Malaysian social media users and some officials have suggested the quake was a sign the spirits were angry after a group of 10 apparently Western men and women tourists last weekend snapped nude photos at the summit and posted them on the Internet.

“This will certainly bring misfortune… we can’t play with the spirit of the sacred mountain,” deputy state chief minister Joseph Pairin Kitingan told reporters Saturday.

He called for the tourists to be brought to justice. – AFP

Comments

comments

Copyright © 2016 ARYNEWS.tv

To Top