The latest casualties include a child and a lawyer who were wounded in the blast succumbed to their wounds today.
The bomber struck as a crowd of mostly lawyers and journalists crammed into the emergency department to accompany the body of a prominent lawyer who had been shot and killed in the city earlier in the day.
Television footage showed scenes of chaos at the hospital in Quetta, with panicked people fleeing through debris as smoke filled the corridors.
Bodies lay strewn across a hospital courtyard shortly after the blast and pools of blood collected as emergency rescuers rushed to identify survivors.
Pakistan’s Army Chief General Raheel Sharif later reached Quetta and visited Civil Hospital to inquire about the health of the victims of bomb blast.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif also arrived in the Balochistan capital to chair an important meeting hours after the blast.
Bomb disposal squad has confirmed that the deadly bomb blast in Civil Hospital Quetta was a suicide attack in which ball bearings were also used to make it deadlier. Two legs of a body have been found from the crime scene, which likely to belong to a suicide bomber.
Commander Southern Command of the armed forces Lt. General Amir Riaz visited civil hospital to monitor the scene of the terrorist attack. He also met with the officials of the hospital administration and inquired about the health of the injured admitted at the hospital.
Earlier in the morning unknown armed men killed Balochistan Bar President Bilal Anwar Kasi at Mannu Jan Road of Quetta. The dead body of the prominent lawyer was transferred to Civil Hospital. A large number of lawyers were reached Civil Hospital to receive the mortal remains of Bilal Anwar Kasi when the deadly blast hit them at casualty department of the hospital.
Former president Balochistan Bar Association Baz Mohammad Kakar, who was injured in the bomb attack, succumbed to his injuries in the hospital.
Two newsmen also said to be missing after the blast near casualty department of the hospital that rocked the city.
Earlier, Kasi was on his way to court from home when unidentified armed men shot him dead on Mannu Jan Road of the city, police sources said.
It was second incident of targeted killing of a lawyer in Quetta in a span of few days.
Shahzad Ahmed, a cameraman of Aaj television channel, succumbed to his injuries in hospital. Two journalists present at the hospital were also said to be untraced after the bomb blast.
A large number of lawyers and newsmen were present in the hospital after killing of the Bar president Bilal Kasi when the bomb device went off at the casualty department of the hospital. The injured included lawyers and other people present at the hospital.
Around 30 persons said to be injured some of them have been in critical condition. The injured have been transferred to Bolan Medical College Hospital and Combined Military Hospital (CMH) apart of the Civil Hospital Quetta. CMH has displayed a list of 13 victims of the bombing died in the hospital.
Local administration has declared emergency in all hospitals of Quetta and cancelled leaves of doctors and para-medical staff after the terrorist attack that severely bruised normal life in the city.
The city’s traders have announced shutter down on Tuesday (tomorrow) to mourn the deadly incident in Quetta.
Quetta, the seat of government of Balochistan province, remains a regular target of terrorist attacks.
— ارگ (@ARG_AFG) August 8, 2016
Today’s bombing of a hospital in Pakistan is despicable. We have to stand up against terror and come together to prevent these attacks. -H — Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) August 8, 2016
Horrific terror attack in Civil hospital Quetta – 25 innocent ppl dead, many critically injured. Another repetitive tale of horror ag r ppl — Shireen Mazari (@ShireenMazari1) August 8, 2016
Condemnable cowardly terrorists strike Quetta targeting bar president then civil hospital. Even in war hospitals not delib targeted. — Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) August 8, 2016
Grieved on the loss of precious lives in a bomb blast in Quetta… My heart and sympathies are with the bereaved families… — Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) August 8, 2016
“No one will be allowed to disturb peace in the province that has been restored due to countless sacrifices of security forces, police and the people of Balochistan,” the Prime Minister said.
Nawaz Sharif directed the concerned authorities to maintain utmost vigilance and beef up security for the legal fraternity and members of civil society.
The premier also issued directives for provision of best treatment to those injured during the attack.
He prayed for eternal peace of the departed souls and strength to the bereaved families to bear this irreparable loss.