- China using animals to predict earthquakes: report
- Colombia turns to lie detectors to tackle government corruption
- Men at a Cambridge college allowed to wear skirts at formal dinners
- Escaped lion from flooded Georgia zoo kills man
- Free pizza for life helps close Portland real estate deal in hot market
- Paris to remove a million ‘love locks’
German woman declared dead wakes up in morgue
Prosecutors in Germany have charged a doctor with negligent bodily harm for declaring a 92-year-old woman dead.
According to British daily, Essen prosecutor Birgit Juergens said the 53-year-old, whose name was not released in line with privacy regulations, could face anything from a fine to a prison sentence if convicted.
The doctor is alleged to have pronounced the seriously ill woman dead in March after a caregiver found her without a pulse and not breathing at a retirement home.
That evening, a worker at the funeral home where she had been taken heard a scream from the refrigeration room and discovered the woman alive.
The woman died two days later in hospital from heart disease unrelated to the incident.