- Great fall of China sinks world stocks, dollar tumbles
- IMF official says ‘premature’ to speak of Chinese crisis
- Weekly inflation rate falls by 0.35 pct
- Disappointing business surveys intensify world growth fears
- Oil dives below $40 after rise in U.S. oil rigs
- Germany wants IMF involved in Greek bailout for reform rigour: sources
Greece defaults on IMF payment
“I confirm that the SDR 1.2 billion repayment due by Greece to the IMF today has not been received,” said Fund spokesman Gerry Rice.
“We have informed our executive board that Greece is now in arrears and can only receive IMF financing once the arrears are cleared.”
After a long day of failed attempts to resuscitate its bailout financing deal with the European Union, Greece had made a last-minute request to the IMF to have the payment, due by 2200 GMT Tuesday, extended.
Rice confirmed the request but the board did not rule on it.
The extension request “will go to the IMF’s Executive Board in due course,” he said.