- Afghan Taliban appoint new leader after Mansour’s death
- Islamic State threatens attacks in India
- Expatriates cannot leave UAE without paying traffic fine
- London mayor Sadiq Khan invites trump to meet his family
- North, South Korea reach agreement to halt tensions
- Islamic State attacks kill 51 Syrian soldiers in north: monitor
Indian man arrested over Facebook image of Modi bowing before Muslim leader
Mohammed Mehboob, 25, was arrested on Sunday on charges of “promoting enmity between religious groups” after workers for Modi’s party in southern Karnataka state’s Koppal district complained about the post.
“We acted on a complaint filed by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers and arrested him,” the investigating officer Kali Krishna told AFP, referring to Modi’s Hindu nationalist party.
Muhammad Mehboob who posted Modi image on Facebook, sparking controversy.
The image showed Modi touching the feet of Akbaruddin Owaisi, a controversial Muslim legislator from neighbouring Telangana state who has been prosecuted for making derogatory remarks about Modi in the past.
— Maheish Girri (@MaheishGirri) April 3, 2016
In March, police in central India arrested two Muslim men on charges of obscenity over a doctored image of Mohan Bhagwat, a leader of the controversial Hindu nationalist group Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
The image showed Bhagwat dressed in a tight pair of women’s trousers and black high heels, an apparent reference to the group’s decision to change their trademark khaki shorts for brown trousers.