The cable which Lucman claimed was a confidential document written on April 22, 2009 by then US Consul General contains startling revelations about MQM.
Some of the revelations that Lucman read were.
1. MQM’s armed members which are termed as ‘good friends’ are the largest non-governmental armed organisation in Karachi and according to a police claim MQM has around 10 thousand active armed workers along with almost 25 thousand militants in reserve.
2. MQM operates with the help of its 100 sector commanders who also make plans for target killers within the party and receive direct instructions from MQM chief Altaf Hussain who resides in London.
3. These armed workers demand extortion and kill political rivals, fire upon rallies and murder people from other ethnic groups.
4. According to a senior police officer, within last 8 years around one million arms licenses were issued to MQM. Most of the licenses were of handguns.
5. MQM exercise influence and control in Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Korangi, Landhi, Liaquatabad, Malir, Nazimabad, New Karachi, North Nazimabad, Orangi Town, Saddar, Shah Faisal Colony and other areas of Karachi.
The ‘secret’ document was sent to Kabul-Afghanistan, New Delhi-India, Lahore and Islamabad, Pakistan, Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Secretary of State, United Kingdom, US Central Command among others.