- 27-kg heroine seized from PIA aircraft in Karachi
- Dasti approaches ECP for registration of his party
- Fazl active to ‘arrange’ Nawaz-Zardari meeting in London
- Afghanistan probes Mullah Akhtar Mansour’s fate after deadly US drone attack
- Pemra bans crime re-enactment shows on TV channels ahead of Ramazan
- Imran ends NA speech with a street protest ‘warning’
Nurse attempts suicide in protest against niqab ban
The nurse had tried to jump off Katchehri Bridge, but her co-workers timely caught her.
“We do not get salaries and leaves, and we are not allowed to wear niqab (veil) at the hospital,” they said while demanding the government to lift ban from niqab.
The nurses also said that the hospital management has not allowed them to take annual leaves for around three years.
The protesting nurses expressed reservations over the committee formed by the hospital management. They demanded immediate removal of Superintendent Kokab Naheed for her mistreatment of subordinates.
The nurses said their request for further studies was turned down by the head nurse.
Nishtar Hospital’s Medical Superintendent (MS) Dr Muhammad Ashiq tried to persuade the nurses to end their protest and return to work.
“Dr Ashiq came and offered an inquiry, but we don’t want any inquiry committee. We only want the madam (Naheed) to be sent away from Nishtar Hospital Multan,” said a nurse.
The nurses vowed to continue protest until their demands are met.