Pakistan

Unrest in Kashmir continues as death toll rises to 33

KASHMIR 1

SRINAGAR: Pakistan has announced to raise the pressing issue of Kashmir at the international level as the death toll following deadly clashes between Indian forces and protesters reached 33.

Clashes continue to intensify on Tuesday leaving the Indian-held Kashmir completely paralysed.

Most of the killed protesters received gunshot wounds as Indian forces fired live ammunition and tear gas to try to enforce a curfew imposed across the Indian-held Kashmir Valley.

Foreign Secretary Aizaz Chaudhry on Tuesday briefed the ambassadors of the United States (US), China, Russia, the United Kingdom (UK) and France over the extra-judicial killings and violation of human rights in Kashmir.

Earlier, a delegation of All Parties Hurriyat Conference also met Chairman Kashmir Committee, Maulana Fazlur Rehman at the parliament house in the federal capital and decided to highlight the Kashmir issue internationally.


Must Read: Pakistan calls in Indian High Commissioner, expresses concern over Kashmir killings


Demonstrations in the Indian-held Kashmir erupted after the killing of Burhan Wani, a 22-year-old commander of Hizbul Mujahideen (HM), during a gun battle with government forces on Friday.

Around 300 people have been injured, including nearly 100 police, and hospitals say they are overwhelmed.

On Monday, thousands of protesters defied the curfew to take to the streets. Police said several hundred protesters tried to storm an Indian Air force base about 25 kilometres (15 miles) south of the capital Srinagar as the worst civilian unrest since 2010 spread.

“We do not know if firearms were used, but the protesters were pushed back,” a senior officer on condition of anonymity.

There were reports of injured protesters being targeted – one local doctors’ association said on Sunday that tear gas canisters had been fired inside a hospital emergency room.

Another group, the Jammu and Kashmir Coalition for Civil Society, alleged that police had attacked ambulances taking the wounded to hospital.

The state government has called for calm and has cut off the Internet and mobile phone networks to try to stop the protests spreading.

It is the worst civilian violence to hit the restive region since 2010 when mass protests broke out against Indian rule.

Comments

comments

Copyright © 2016 ARYNEWS.tv

To Top