Russia banned from 2018 Winter Games
The Russian Paralympic Committee (RPC) announced the latest punishment handed out by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) on Monday.
“The decision taken by the IPC, upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) regarding Russian Paralympians being excluded from the 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, has also been extended to include the Winter Games in 2018 in Pyeongchang,” the RPC said on their website.
Last week the Lausanne-based CAS, sport’s highest tribunal, rejected an RPC appeal against the Rio ban.
The decision to exclude Russia’s team means at least 260 competitors from the country are now set to miss the Sept. 7-18 Paralympics.
Russia have appealed against the CAS ruling to the Swiss Federal Court and a result is expected later on Monday or on Tuesday.
The Federal Court can only overturn the CAS decision on the basis of a procedural mistake and not on the merits of the case.
The IPC went further than the International Olympic Committee (IOC), which stopped short of a blanket ban on Russia at this month’s Rio Olympics and left the decision instead in the hands of international sports federations.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has strongly condemned the ban on Russia from the next 2018 Winter Games.
“The decision to disqualify our Paralympic team is outside the law, outside morality and outside humanity,” he said.
Putin added, “It is simply cynical to vent one’s anger on those for whom sport has become the meaning of their life … I even feel pity for those taking such decisions because they must well understand that it is so demeaning for them.”