There is a big chance for hairstylists, barbers and those who regularly dye their hair to develop different kinds of cancers specially bladder cancer because of their constant exposure to hair dyes which contain hazardous toxins, International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) in Lyon, France, revealed this in a research.
A net of blood vessels is spread in scalp which makes it easier to transport the chemical toxins from the hair dyes into the body. These chemicals not only cause bladder cancer but also other serious diseases like lymphoma and leukemia.
The hazardous chemicals found in some of the hair dye are:
- Para-phenylenediamine and tetrahydro-6-nitroquinoxaline, they are proven to cause cancer in animals.
- 71% of Coal tar, a common carcinogen
- Formaldehyde, a preservative related to cancer growth and intoxication of the reproductive systems
- The DMDM Hydantoin preservative, famous for effect on immune system intoxication
- Eugenol, and ingredient found in perfumes which can cause allergies, intoxication of the immune and nervous systems, as well as cancer.
You are therefore recommended to check the ingredients labeled on your hair dye through the database, or simply google them. This will surprise you what most cosmetic products contain.
According to Health Journal 365: “A research has been made that included 900 participants, both those who dyed their hair every month and ones who kept their natural color, which proved that regular users of hair color have higher chances of up to 50% of developing bladder cancer, even amounting to 150-200 % for women who have for women who have been dying their hair for more than 15 years.
“Furthermore, it was also found that the exposure to hair dye for periods of more than two decades, can also lead to other diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis.”
Is there such a thing as a safe hair dye?
Only organic and natural hair dyes like henna and herbal are safe or the hair dyes with minimum chemical and non-permanent effect. The more permanent a dye would be, the more toxin chemicals it would contain.