WASHINGTON: President-elect Donald Trump snubbed a legendary announcer who has been the voice of the inauguration parade for the last 11 presidents in past 60 years.
Charles Brotman, 89, had already been preparing for the job, when he learned by email Thursday he’d be benched for the inaugural parade he’s announced since Dwight D. Eisenhower, who was the 34th President of the United States from 1953 until 1961.
Brotman, the former voice of the Washington Senators baseball team, said he was “heartbroken” by the Trump team’s decision.
“I’ve been doing this for 60 years,” Brotman told the local Washington TV.
“… I was destroyed.”
Instead, Trump has tapped Steve Ray, a 58-year-old Washington based freelance announcer who volunteered for Trump’s campaign.
“I’m not replacing Charlie. I’m not filling his shoes,”said Ray, who had done work for the Washington Nationals. “I’m really just the guy who’s next, because Charlie is irreplaceable. He’s an absolute legend.”
Trump’s team wants to honor Brotman with the title of Announcer Chairman Emeritus on January 20. “Since 1957, millions of Americans and countless entertainers have come to recognize Charlie Brotman as the voice of the inaugural parade,” spokesman Boris Epshteyn said in a statement.
Brotman isn’t sure whether he’ll attend the parade and accept his special recognition but he’s wishing Ray success.