ISLAMABAD: The ceasefire period of one-month announced by the outlawed Tehreek e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has come to an end without announcement of extension, ARY News reported on Tuesday.
The government of Pakistan and TTP had announced ceasing the hostilities for a month to provide space to the dialogue process.
The period of ceasefire ended on Monday but no extension in the truce has been announced so far.
Senator Prof. Ibrahim, a member of the Taliban negotiating team, has said that Taliban have not announced extension in ceasefire but it is expected in result of the talks between two sides.
According to reports, Taliban Shura has expressed reservations over the lack of action on the part of the government over their demands. Taliban sources said that they have implemented the ceasefire in the letter and spirit but the government failed to take practical steps over their demand of the release of the prisoners. They claimed that in the month-long ceasefire the government given them 15 dead bodies and arrested their 50 members.
Senator Ibrahim while talking to ARY News said that the period of ceasefire has come to an end and not extended so far. He, however, hoped that the talks are underway and Taliban will soon formally announce the truce.
In absence of the ceasefire Taliban could unleash another series of terrorist attacks. The government forces likely to retaliate with bombardment at the hideouts of Taliban and boost countrywide operations against the militants.
The dialogue process if ends in failure could result in unrestrained action against the militants.