Christchurch attack: Bodies of seven Pakistanis handed to heirs
CHRISTCHURCH: Pakistan’s deputy high commissioner in New Zealand Syed Moazzam Shah said on Thursday eight Pakistani victims of the Christchurch terror attack will be laid to rest here on Friday (tomorrow).
Speaking to ARY News, he said efforts are underway to send the mortal remains of one Pakistani martyr back to Pakistan at the earliest. Of the nine Pakistanis who were martyred in New Zealand’s worst mass shooting, the bodies of seven have been handed over to their heirs, he said.
Meanwhile, New Zealand police said that all 50 victims of last week’s terror attack in Christchurch had now been identified, allowing burials to take place.
“I can say that as of a few minutes ago the identification process and to all 50 victims has been completed and all of the next of kin have been advised,” said commissioner Mike Bush. “That is a landmark for this process.”
It is noteworthy that Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced that Friday’s call to prayers for Muslims will be broadcast nationally and there will be a two minute silence.
At least 50 people were killed last Friday by a lone gunman who attacked worshippers at two mosques in Christchurch.
Most victims were migrants or refugees from countries such as Pakistan, India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Turkey, Somalia, Afghanistan and Bangladesh.