The news is by your side.

Dubious police encounter in Karachi remains a mystery

Abrar, a resident of Jackson area in Karachi was killed and another man, Dilnawaz was injured during a dubious police encounter in Karachi’s posh area of Sindhi Muslim Society on Sunday night, ARY News reported.

According to details, Abrar was visiting the area in a bid to sell a mobile phone through an advert on the internet, where he became a victim of a dubious police encounter.

Post-mortem report conducted at the Jinnah Hospital has revealed he received three bullets.

“Abrar went to sell a mobile, but police declared him a dacoit in front of the hospital administration where he was later taken to,” said Naqash, a friend of the 22-year-old while recording his statement in front of the police.

Media officials were informed about the incident by the area police but they along with the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) officials could not confirm the encounter episode subsequently. 

Police have said that Abrar and Dilnawaz (the alleged buyer) were engaged in a deal to purchase the mobile. But when the later tried to flee in his car without paying for the mobile, Abrar resisted and entered into his car. At that instant, armed men from a nearby police mobile opened fire at them as a result of which Abrar died on the spot while Dilnawaz was injured.

Provincial Home Minister Sohail Anwar Sial has ordered an inquiry into the incident. Police have also taken Dilnawaz into their custody.

Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Ferozeabad Police Station, Farhat Iqbal has claimed that the police mobile and the officials supposedly involved in the incident did not belong to the area police station.

Following the gunshots, a police official went to the area where the incident happened, added DSP Ferozeabad Police Station.

Friends and relatives of Abrar have accused the police officials of protecting the culprits behind his brutal killing. They also claimed that they were being pressurised to avoid a post-mortem.



You might also like