Eight die in Jhelum consuming toxic liquor
JHELUM: At least eight people died in Jhelum’s Christian Colony after consuming toxic liquor, ARY News reported on Friday.
Scores of other persons said to be in a precarious condition, officials said.
The locality said to be notorious for its production of low grade alcohol in the area.
The people died in the incident were said to be the guests attending a wedding party in the locality.
The incident indicates the proliferation of poisonous liquor in the nook and corner of country, which officially bars people from consuming it.
The Sindh High Court on Thursday ordered an immediate closure of all liquor shops across the province.
The low quality liquor mostly consumed by the poor contains methanol, commonly used in anti-freeze and fuel. The consumption of methanol can lead to blindness, liver damage and death.