Fire at Karachi’s furniture market guts 10 shops
KARACHI: Firefighters extinguished the fire that erupted in furniture market of Karachi’s Orangi Town area after hectic efforts lasting four hours on Thursday morning.
No loss of life has been reported in the incident, however the blaze caused massive loss of property after 10 shops were completely gutted.
Five fire tenders took part in the firefighting operation.
According to rescue sources, the fire was caused by short-circuiting which engulfed the entire market comprising over two dozen shops within minutes.
However, the residential apartments next to the furniture market were evacuated immediately in view of the rapidly spreading fire.
Earlier on Aug 31 at least five people including three firefighters had suffered injuries after a fire erupted at a factory in SITE area. A portion of the factory building had collapsed due to the blaze.