Govt committee apologizes from progressing dialogue with Taliban
ISLAMABAD: Government committee for peace talks has apologized from progressing dialogue process with the Taliban.
A statement in this regard has been issued by the government committee, ARY News reported on Tuesday. The committee said dialgoue could not continue until Taliban halt their offensive against the state.
The committee also met the Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and informed him about the decision. The committee said participating in meetings would be meaningless, especially after the killing of 23 FC men in Mohmand Agency amid the dialogue process.
The committee reiterated that progress could not be made in current circumstances. The current situation in not conducive for dialogue, said the committee statement.
It is pertinent to mention here that government had announced its committee for peace talks earlier this month and Taliban announced their committee on February 3.
The first meeting between the two committees took place on February 6. The Taliban-nominated committee flew to Waziristan on February 8 and met the Taliban leadership. Amid the dialogue process, police van was attacked in a blast in Karachi on February 13, killing at least 13 cops. Subsequently, slaying of 23 Frontier Constabulary (FC) personnel in Mohmand Agency and Taliban’s claim of the FC men’s killing stalled the dialogue process immediately on February 17.