Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to keep baby plans private
LONDON: Prince Harry and Meghan have decided to keep the plans around the arrival of their first child private, Buckingham Palace said on Thursday.
Harry and Meghan, whose official titles are the duke and duchess of Sussex, expect the birth of their first child in the coming weeks.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very grateful for the goodwill they have received from people throughout the United Kingdom and around the world as they prepare to welcome their baby,” they said in a statement.
“Their Royal Highnesses have taken a personal decision to keep the plans around the arrival of their baby private,” the palace said.
“The Duke and Duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family.”
The Mail on Sunday reported that Meghan had already broken with royal tradition by appointing her own delivery team without “the men in suits” — a reference to gynaecologists working in the Royal Household.
Meghan and Harry, who married last year, are expecting their first child this spring.
But the former actress has opted not to give birth at the Lindo Wing of St Mary’s Hospital, favoured by British royalty since 1977, UK’s Sun newspaper reported earlier this month, citing an unidentified source.
Princess Diana gave birth to Harry at St Mary’s in 1984 and Kate, the wife of Harry’s elder brother William, gave birth to all three of her children, George, Charlotte and Louis, there.
Meghan, 37, has opted for a maternity hospital closer to their new home in the ancient town of Windsor, The Sun said under the headline “Meghan snubs Kate & Di hospital.”
“The child will not be born at the Lindo,” the newspaper quoted the source as saying.
“She and Harry have decided that rather than go somewhere as public as the Lindo, they will allow Meghan to recover somewhere more private,” the source was quoted as saying.