4,600 years old Mohenjo Daro ruins face serious threat from rainwater
According to reports, the monumental world heritage site faces serious threat from recent very heavy rainfall and at some places the rainwater has entered in the city, which is said to be around 5000 years old. Some portions of the historic archaeological site have already been swept away by the rainwater, while others face serious danger from the ravages of rainfall and flooding, local people said.
According to archaeologists the world’s first planned city was destroyed at least seven times by floods in its ancient history, the tragedy could revisit it again. And this time, protective spurs built with international funds may not be able to withstand the deluge.
Absolutely not. We have 6 machines and 73 staff working there. We are very vigilant and proactive https://t.co/AUTr7WEw7o
— Sharmila faruqi (@sharmilafaruqi) July 28, 2015
Rains damage 5,000 year old Moenjodaro ruins in Pakistan’s Sindh province pic.twitter.com/H7S2X0DC5T
— omar r quraishi (@omar_quraishi) July 28, 2015
Located on the bank of Indus River in Pakistan’s southern province of Sindh, Mohenjodaro was built around 2400 BC. It was destroyed at least seven times by the floods and rebuilt on the top of ruins each time, experts said.
Mohenjo Daro, around two kilometres from the river, was discovered during excavations in 1922.
Regarded as the oldest planned city in the world, the site covers an area of about 240 hectares, but so far only 10 per cent of it has been excavated.
UNESCO had launched an international campaign to buttress Mohenjo Daro against floods that completed in 1997 after an investment of about eight million dollars.
Five spurs built along the river banks at an average height of six metres protected the city during 1992 floods.
After passage of the 18th Constitutional Amendment the responsibility of the archaeological sites was devolved to the provinces from the federal government. Now it is the responsibility of the government of Sindh to protect the historic site.
Local people and archaeology enthusiasts, however, claimed that the provincial government’s negligence has pushed the world heritage site to total devastation.