ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan on Saturday criticised the government of Sindh for the lack of security leading to the terror attack at the shrine on Lal Shahabaz Qalandar in Sehwan.
Addressing media persons, the interior minister launched a diatribe against the Pakistan People’s Party saying that even the spokesman of the Sindh government has not addressed the issue and was instead criticising the federal government.
He was referring to the statement by PPP leader Maula Bakhsh Chandio who on Friday called for ‘Operation Radd-ul-Nisar’ stating that the interior minister has a soft corner for banned outfits and held meetings with their chiefs.
He questioned whether it was the responsibility of the federal government to provide security at the shrine at Sehwan, install walk-through gates and provide electricity.
The interior minister said that the provincial government was informed about a likely terror incident but no concrete security arrangements were made to prevent the attack.
He claimed that terrorism has reduced and overall security situation has improved in the country since the last three years, when the current government took over.
“I admit that graph of terrorism has done down, but not completely,” he said adding that the war against terror would continue and has long way to go.
According to him, there was an average of seven to seven explosions daily in June 2013, while the number of attacks last year fell below one thousand for the first time since the last decade.
He said that the National Action Plan was developed to address the issue of terrorism and extremism in the country over the prevailing feeling of fear and hopelessness. He urged media organisations to portray a soft image of the country so that people do not live in fear.
He said that he has asked Chief Secretary Sindh for an explanation over the lack of security during the Sehwan attack, but had an unsatisfactory reply over how the injured were shifted to hospital.