Qazi opens up on Hakim Saeed’s assassination
A video showing Qazi surfaced on Friday in which the suspect is seen revealing facts about the killing of Hakim Muhammad Saeed – former Sindh governor and founder of Madinatul Hikmat, Hamdard laboratories, school and university – back in October 1998.
The suspect revealed the names who plotted the high-profile murder that had rattled Sindh particularly Karachi in late 90s.
Two MQM activists, Zulfiqar Haider and Mehmood Siddiqui, were involved in the assassination of Hakim Saeed, said Qazi, besides confirming Mehmood Siddiqui and Safdar Baqar’s links with Indian covert agency RAW.
MQM activist Zulfiqar Haider Shah has been elected as member of the Sindh Assembly from Shah Faisal Town, while Mehmood Siddiqui has served as chairman of All Pakistan Muttahida Students Organization (APMSO) – student wing of the MQM.
It is pertinent to note here five people were nominated in the murder cas eof Hakim Saeed. They included Amirullah, Nadeem alias Mota, sector in-charge Shakirullah, Imran Pasha and Fasih Jugnu.
Shakir alias Langra and Amir were handed death sentence by an Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) in 1999. They were however freed by the Supreme Court last year.
Minhaj Qazi said he was not in touch with the MQM while the former governor was gunned down in Karachi.
Saeed was a medical researcher, scholar, philanthropist, who served as governor of Sindh from 1993 until 1996. He was one of Pakistan’s most prominent medical researchers in the field of Eastern medicines.
On October 17, 1998, Saeed was killed in a brazen attack by unknown assailants while he was on his way to attend a medical experiment at the Hamdard Laboratories.
MQM rebuffs Qazi’s allegations
On the other hand, MQM has demanded Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Army Chief General Raheel Sharif to take notice of the leakage of Qazi’s video statement.
Speaking at presser at Nine Zero, MQM deputy convener Dr Farooq Sattar rejected as illegal and unconstitutional the allegations against the party originating from the confessional statement of former security in-charge of Nine Zero.
He lamented that the MQM has once again been subjected to media trial after the assassination Hakim Saeed in 1998.
“The MQM activists arrested in connection with the case were freed after allegations against them could not be substantiated,” he recalled. “Old allegations are repeated once again to defame the party.”
Sattar further said that Minhaj Qazi recorded the statement in Rangers’ custody, which his party rejects entirely.
“We are trying to ascertain the elements and motives behind this video,” he said, adding that the national institutions should think of what is happening.
He contended that it is no big deal to make suspects record statements of one’s choice through intimidation and torture, and that whatever is going on will give away no positive impression.
The MQM lawmaker also appealed the Supreme Court (SC) to take suo motu notice of allegations leveled against the party.