Quebec City mosque shooter makes second court appearance
QUEBEC CITY, Canada: The man accused in a Quebec City mosque shooting that left six people dead made a brief second court appearance on Tuesday under heavy security.
The hearing to officially hand over evidence in the case to the defense and to set a date for a bail hearing lasted only two minutes.
The defense also asked for and was granted a publication ban on future proceedings.
Alexandre Bissonnette, 27, faces six counts of murder and five of attempted murder.
He appeared in the packed courtroom hunched over, wearing a red t-shirt with the words “volunteer” scribbled on the back.
Mohamed Labidi, vice-president of the targeted Quebec City mosque, called for an end to a continuing “cycle of violence,” after an arrest was made earlier in the overnight vandalization of a Montreal mosque.
Labidi also expressed sadness for Bissonnette for having thrown his life away.
“It hurts, especially when I see someone so young,” Labidi told reporters.
“There’s a mixture of emotions — pity for (the accused) and at the same time thoughts for our brothers who died for no reason,” he said.
Bissonette’s next court appearance is scheduled for March 30.