Eid Recipe: Sheer Khurma
500 ml milk, approx 3 cups full fat organic milk (1 cup=250ml)
1 tbsp ghee
Sugar as required
Dates and raisins to add a lot more sweetness to the milk
½ cup broken seviyan/whole wheat vermicelli
7-8 cashews, chopped
8-9 almonds, sliced
8-9 unsalted pistachios, sliced
8-9 dates seedless, chopped
4 cardamoms, crushed to a powder in a mortar-pestle.
½ or 1 tbsp chironji/charoli
1 tbsp golden raisins
½ to 1 tsp rose water
- Roast the vermicelli (seviyan) in ghee till golden and keep aside.
- In the same pan heat ghee, add chopped dry fruits and saute for 3-4 minutes stirring often.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan and bring it to boil.
- Lower the flame and simmer for 8-10 minutes till the milk slightly thickens.
- Add the roasted vermicelli (seviyan) and sugar to the milk and simmer till the seviyan are cooked.
- Make sure that seviyan have become soft, and cook for another 8-10 minutes on a low flame.
- The milk will also thicken and reduce in volume.
- Add the dry fruit mixture and cardamom powder.
- Switch off the flame and stir.
- Serve with more dry fruits.
- You can add more sugar if you like.