The news is by your side.

Sedition case filed against Kashmiri students for celebrating Pakistan’s victory

NEW DELHI: In what is being seen as a merciless treatment and gags on freedom of expression, Meerut Police have registered a case of sedition against the 67 Kashmiri students of Meerut's Swami Vivekanand Subharti University (SVSU) who allegedly celebrated the victory of Pakistan over India in an Asia Cup cricket match on Sunday (March 2).

The case of sedition was registered under section 124 (a) of the Indian Penal Code against unknown students of SVSU on Wednesday. The case was registered by Uttar Pradesh government against the Kashmiri students.

According to Indian media, a delegation of Bharatiya Janata Party leaders met the university's vice chancellor Dr Manzoor Ahmad and management officials demanding stern action against the students who praised Pakistan, terming their act "anti-national".

"We have registered the case against unknown students and the culprits would be brought into record after investigation," said senior superintendent of police.

A group of students associated with youth wing of the safforn party also burnt the effigy of the vice chancellor while students in CCS University took out Ahmad's symbolic funeral procession inside the premises blaming him for being lenient to the students.

The trouble began on Saturday when a group of local and Kashmiri students were watching the India-Pakistan match in SVSU's Madan Lal Dhingra Hostel.

A group of Kashmiri students allegedly celebrated Pakistan's victory over India and a few of them shouted slogan "Pakistan Zindabad" on the way back to their rooms. Their act triggered tension in the university.

The university management initiated a three-tier inquiry and questioned other Kashmiri students who refused to divulge the identity of those who were involved in the incident. As a result, the management suspended all 67 Kashmiri students residing in the hostel.

India media reports said the suspended students were asked to vacate the hostel and go back to their homes in Jammu and Kashmir. They were dropped at Ghaziabad and Delhi railway station under police security.



You might also like