‘Sesame Street’ muppets to embark on road trip to celebrate 50th anniversary
Sesame Workshop has announced that the ‘Sesame Street’ Muppets will embark on a US-wide road trip to celebrate the iconic program’s 50th anniversary.
The 10-city trip will bring together community partners, celebrities, elected officials, and families to highlight the many ways that Sesame Street — and the nonprofit organization behind it — ”helps kids everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder”.
Stops on the road trip will unfold over three days, culminating in free Sesame Street festivals where families in each city can enjoy live performances and kid-friendly activities. Sesame Street’s production crew will also travel to each city, filming a new segment that will capture what local kids love about their communities.
The segment will be part of Sesame Street’s 50th season, premiering in November on HBO.
While in town, Big Bird, Elmo, and friends will visit local landmarks and community organizations.
“This summer’s road trip will demonstrate the power of media to engage and teach — something Sesame Workshop has focused on from the very beginning,” said Steve Youngwood, Sesame Workshop’s President of Media and Education and Chief Operating Officer.
“As we celebrate our decades of impact and look ahead to the next 50 years, Sesame Street’s timeless lessons remain the same: Everyone, no matter who they are or where they are from, is equally deserving of respect, opportunity, and joy.”
Fans and families can celebrate Sesame Street at community festivals in the following cities:
New York, NY: Saturday, June 1st
Washington, DC: Saturday, June 8th
Pittsburgh, PA: Saturday, June 15th
Detroit, MI: Saturday, June 22
Chicago, IL: Saturday, June 29
Dallas, TX: Saturday, July 6
Kansas City, MO: Saturday, July 13
Denver, CO: Saturday, July 20
Seattle, WA: Saturday, July 27
Los Angeles, CA: Saturday, August 3
Details about the events — including locations and participating local personalities — will be released throughout the spring.
Sesame Street’s 50th anniversary celebration will also include:
• #ThisIsMyStreet, a celebrity and fan-fueled social media campaign that encourages everyone to share their favorite Sesame Street memories online.
• An expansion of the growing Sesame Street in Communities initiative to support vulnerable children and families, addressing issues like substance abuse and foster care.
• A signature research report that will explore an important issue facing kids and families today.
• The launch of a new local version of Sesame Street created for displaced Syrian families and their new neighbors in Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria, as part of a large-scale early childhood intervention in the region.
• The 50th season of Sesame Street, kicking off in November with a star-studded primetime special that will include new takes on classic segments and visits from Sesame Street icons.
• New collaborations across fashion, lifestyle, and themed entertainment for Sesame Street fans of all ages.