COLOMBO: The Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) on Tuesday rejected reports attributing SLC of its support to the recently approved ‘controversial’ Big 3 proposal, ARY News reported.
The SLC Secretary Nashanatha Ranatunga told ARY News that no such decision had been taken in connection to the ‘Big 3’ proposal. He, however, added that meetings in this regard were underway and any decision to this effect would be taken soon.
He said Board Executive Committee of SLC had acknowledged Pakistan and Sri Lanka’s stance on ‘Big 3’ decision.
The Federation of International Cricketers' Associations (FICA) had urged test playing nations last month to reject the controversial proposals that would effectively place Australia, England and India in charge of the world game.
A working group of the International Cricket Council's (ICC) Finance and Commercial Affairs committee had come up with the proposal recommending international calendar and revenue share be controlled by the three boards who bring the most income to the game.
Cricket boards of South Africa and Pakistan had objected to the restructuring proposal, while FICA said it was "extremely concerned about the future of international cricket". However, Cricket South Africa backtracked on its pledge and supported the ‘Big 3’, leaving Pakistan and Sri Lanka the only two countries in opposition. The proposal was later approved by the ICC after it attained eight required votes for passage of the cricket restructuring draft.