Web
Analytics
The news is by your side.

Boko Haram

Boko Haram attacks leave 53 dead in pre-election show of force

ABUJA: Booko Haram have killed 53 soldiers and farmers in three days of attacks in northeastern Nigeria, security sources said Tuesday, in a new show of force ahead of February elections in the West African country. Despite the government's insistence that Boko Haram is near defeat, the group has recently carried out a string of major attacks on military and civilian targets. President Muhammadu Buhari, seeking re-election in February, faces widespread criticism over his security record as soldiers based in the northeast…

Boko Haram will take years to ‘eliminate’: top UN official

UNITED NATIONS: Despite military successes scored against Boko Haram jihadists, it will take years to "completely eliminate" the group, a United Nations envoy said in an interview.  "Boko Haram has proven to be a resilient group...I think it will take time to totally eliminate," said Muhammad Ibn Chambas, special envoy to the UN secretary general for West Africa and the Sahel. "What we are seeing is that Boko Haram has become part of an international terrorism network." Chambas was speaking on the sidelines of a…

More than 60 killed in Nigeria suicide blasts

KANO: Suicide bombers killed more than 60 people at a mosque and a market in northeast Nigeria on Tuesday, in a twin attack bearing the hallmarks of Boko Haram and a day after US President Donald Trump pledged greater support to fight the extremist militants. The blasts, said to have been carried out by young boys, happened shortly after 1:00 pm (1200 GMT) in Mubi, some 200 kilometres (125 miles) from the Adamawa state capital, Yola. Imam Garki, from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), said a joint…

Nigeria’s Boko Haram has abducted more than 1,000 children since 2013: UN

ABUJA: Islamist fighters from Nigeria’s Boko Haram group have abducted more than 1,000 children in the northeast since 2013, the United Nations children’s agency UNICEF said on Friday. The militants regularly took youngsters to spread fear and show power, the agency said on the eve of the fourth anniversary of the abduction of 276 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok, a case that triggered global outrage. “Children in northeastern Nigeria continue to come under attack at a shocking scale,” said Mohamed Malick Fall,…

Chibok girls angry, upset at latest Boko Haram abduction

KANO, NIGERIA: Boko Haram's latest abduction of schoolgirls in northeast Nigeria has evoked painful memories for Yagana Yamane and Saraya Amos -- and for good reason. In 2014, the pair were among 276 girls kidnapped from their boarding school in Chibok, in an attack that brought world attention to the insurgency in Africa's most populous nation. They and 55 of their classmates managed to escape in the immediate aftermath, jumping from trucks and fleeing into the bush as the human cargo was taken away into the night.…

105 girls missing after Boko Haram school attack: parents

KANO: More than 100 girls are missing after a Boko Haram attack on a school in northeast Nigeria earlier this week, parents told AFP on Friday. Parents in Dapchi, in Yobe state, said had they set up a support group after Monday's raid, which has revived memories of the 2014 abduction of more than 200 girls in Chibok. "Our first step was to compile a comprehensive list of all the missing girls. So far, we have compiled the names of 105," said Bashir Manzo, the chairman of the newly created group. Heavily armed…

Nigerian Chibok girls’ kidnapper jailed for 15 years

LAGOS: A man involved in the 2014 kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls from Chibok in northeast Nigeria has been jailed for 15 years, the government confirmed on Tuesday. Haruna Yahaya, 35, admitted being involved in the abduction when he appeared at a special court trying hundreds of Boko Haram suspects on Monday, said a justice ministry spokesman. The conviction is the first in relation to the kidnapping, which triggered global outrage and sparked a worldwide campaign for the girls' release. Nigeria began…

Female suicide bomber kills one, wounds 28 in Cameroon

YAOUNDE: A female suicide bomber blew herself up in a cafe in Cameroon's far north region on Sunday, killing at least one person and wounding 28 others, witnesses told AFP. Witnesses said the woman entered the cafe at around 7:00 am (0600 GMT) before detonating her explosive vest in Bia, a village close to the border with Nigeria. The area has seen frequent attacks by the Boko Haram group in recent years. Those hurt in the blast were taken to a nearby hospital, witnesses said. Since 2014, when Cameroon began its…