Islamabad High Court
Islamabad High Court Located in Pothohar Plateau, the region has historically been a part of the cross roads of Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, with Margalla pass acting as a gateway between the two regions. In 1958, a commission was constituted to a select a suitable site for the National Capital with particular emphasis on location, climate, logistics and defense requirements along with other attributes.
After extensive study, research and through review of potential cites, the commission recommended the area North East of Rawalpindi. A Greek firm of Architects, Konstantino Apostolos Doxiadies designed the master plan of the city.
The Federal Government was shifted from Karachi to Rawalpindi under President’s Order No.20 of 1960, which was deemed to have taken effect on the 20th October, 1959 whereby it was stipulated that the Capital of the Republic shall be Islamabad situated in the District of Rawalpindi in the Province of West Pakistan at the site to be selected and the area to be determined by the Central Legislature.
It was also provided that until provision was made for establishing the Central Government at Islamabad, the principal seat of the Government shall be at Rawalpindi. Under the Capital of the Republic (Determination of Area) Ordinance, 1963 as required by clause (2) of Article 211 of the Constitution 1962, the area of Islamabad Capital Territory was determined.