The Thar district derives its name from Thar and Parker. The name Thar is from Thul, the general term for the regions sand ridges and the word Parkar literary means “to cross over”. Earlier it was known as the thar and parker district but afterwards it became one word ‘Tharparker’.
The Thari culture is somewhat a mixture of the Gujrati, rajistani and Sindhi Culture. However the Rajistani Culture overshadows the other two. Also the Thari Music seems to be more inspired from the rajistani traditional music however it has a sound and feel of its own.
Sindh was ruled by various dynasties after the fall of the Indus Valley Civilization. These dynasties included the Soomras, the Summas, the Arghuns, the Kalhoras and the Talpurs. These rulers mainly focused on the central and western parts of Sindh while the areas along the eastern boundaries having Tharparkar were disregarded.
During British invasion on the Indian subcontinent, Charles James Napier (the Commander-in-Chief of the British Army) defeated the Talpur dynasty and conquered Sindh in 1843 and made it part of Bombay Presidency. General Charles James Napier was appointed as the first Governor General.
He made Tharparkar a part of Hyderabad. This region was named as Eastern Sindh Frontier with the headquarters at Amarkot in 1860. The British government divided Sindh into different administrative units and assigned to Zamindars to collect taxes for the British government in the year 1882. Under this promulgation, Amarkot was given the status of district. Further, the headquarters of this district was shifted from Amarkot to Mirpurkhas in 1906.