Terror attacks in Christchurch stun world: FM Qureshi
ISTANBUL: Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi, on the sideline of Organisation of Islamic Cooperation’s (OIC) emergency summit, met with New Zealand’s Foreign Minister Winston Peters on Friday.
Talking to his counterpart, Shah Mehmood Qureshi said that the terror attacks in Christchurch had stun the world. The foreign minister expressed his deepest condolences to the families of innocent Muslim victims of the Christchurch terror attacks.
Qureshi also appreciated the government of New Zealand for its unequivocal condemnation of the terror attack and immediate measures taken after the incident.
He expressed solidarity with the New Zealand’s government and the people over the sad incident, in which 50 Muslims were killed. Pakistan also mourned loss of precious lives in the incidents, he added.
On the occasion, New Zealand’s Foreign Minister Winston Peters said that his government was providing best medical facilities to injured and added that they were taking concrete steps to prevent such incidents in the future.
Earlier in the day, An emergency meeting of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) Foreign Ministers began, to discuss the terror attacks on two mosques in New Zealand and increasing violence based on Islamophobia.
The open ended meeting was being chaired by Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu.
Representatives from international organizations such as the United Nations, European Union and Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe have also been invited to the meeting.