UN chief strongly condemns N Korea missile launch
NEW YORK: United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday strongly condemned North Korea’s latest ballistic missile launch, describing it as a “further troubling violation” of UN resolutions.
“The DPRK leadership must return to full compliance with its international obligations and to the path of denuclearization,” said Guterres in a statement.
North Korea said it had successfully test-fired a new type of medium- to long-range ballistic missile on Sunday, claiming advances in a weapons programme it is pursuing in violation of UN resolutions.
North Korea fired the missile on a high arc into the sea early on Sunday, the first probe of US President Donald Trump’s vow to get tough on an isolated regime that tested nuclear devices and ballistic missiles last year at an unprecedented rate.