West Indies Cricket Board confirm abandonment of India tour
As India won the fourth of what were supposed to be five-one-day internationals by 59 runs in Dharamsala, the Board of Control for Cricket in India said that, despite West Indian denials, the tour was over.
However, the WICB insisted during the course of Friday’s match, that no decision had been taken to call off the tour.
Nevertheless, the WICB added a further statement would be made at the end of Friday’s match.
Several hours later, following a teleconference, the WICB issued a statement from their headquarters in St John’s, Antigua, blaming their own players for the collapse of the tour.
“The WICB clarifies that players in the West Indies Squad currently in India represented by Mr. Dwayne Bravo (one-day captain) indicated to the WICB through the West Indies Team Management that the players have taken a decision to withdraw their services for the remainder of the tour of India,” the WICB’s latest statement said.
It also said sending in a batch of fresh players to carry on the tour in place of the originally selected squad was not an option.
“The WICB wishes to further clarify that its proposed alternative arrangement of a replacement West Indies team was not considered acceptable. The WICB is understanding of this position.”
In the course of a 10-point statement, the WICB said it would hold an emergency board meeting in Barbados on Tuesday to “conduct a thorough assessment of all the ramifications of the premature end to the tour”, with a media conference after that meeting- AFP