Whatsapp has finally rolled out the much-anticipated ‘Delete for Everyone’ feature which lets you unsend embarrassing messages.
It has been in development for the last few months. It lets you unsend message/s, making them completely vanish from a group or personal chat. This function will work for all kinds of messages whether video, voice, text, GIFs or documents.
However, the option will only work if the recipient and sender both are using the latest version of WhatsApp, and you can only delete message/s you have sent within the last seven minutes.
This latest update offers you two options — delete messages for everyone or just for yourself.
How to delete messages for everyone:
A Whatsapp statement has said, “Deleting messages for everyone allows you to delete specific messages you have sent to either a group or an individual chat. This is particularly useful if you sent a message to the wrong chat or if the message you sent contains a mistake.”
Messages you successfully delete for everyone will be replaced with “This message was deleted” in your recipients’ chats (*). Similarly, if you see “This message was deleted” in a chat, it means that the sender deleted their message for everyone.
You can only delete messages for everyone for up to seven minutes after sending. Once seven minutes have passed, there is no way to delete messages for everyone. To delete messages for everyone:
Open WhatsApp and go to the chat containing the message you wish to delete.
Tap and hold the message. Optionally, tap more messages to delete multiple messages at once.
Tap Delete at the top of the screen > Delete for everyone.
- In order for messages to be successfully deleted for everyone, both you and your recipient must be using the latest version of WhatsApp for Android, iPhone or Windows Phone.
- (*) If you or your recipient are not using the latest version of WhatsApp for Android, iPhone or Windows Phone, this feature will not be supported.
- Recipients may see your message before it’s deleted or if deletion was not successful.
- You will not be notified if deleting for everyone was not successful.
- The message contained in a quoted message will for now not be deleted.
While, Whatsapp says deleting messages for yourself allows you to delete your copy of messages you have sent or received from your phone. This has no effect on your recipients’ chats. Your recipients will still see the messages in their chat screen.