Women to attend upcoming Afghan peace talks in Doha
WASHINGTON: The officials of both – Taliban and Afghan government – stated on Monday that dozens of women would attend the next round of Afghan peace talks, which will formally begin on April 19 in Doha.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid telephoned reporters in Kabul on Monday and told them that “there will be women in the Taliban delegation in Doha”.
Earlier on Monday, Afghan government officials also announced in Kabul that a 150-member delegation was about to be finalized to partake in the dialogue with Taliban. The delegation would also include “dozens of women,” officials added.
An Afghan news agency, Tolo, reported that US and Taliban delegations had arrived in Doha on Monday for initial talks, although the formal meeting would begin on April 19. The report also said that United States special representative for Afghan peace process Zalmay Khalilzad had also reached the Qatari capital.
In a series of tweets on Monday, Mr Khalilzad said: “The Afghan people deserve and want a comprehensive ceasefire and negotiations leading to a lasting peace. The US stands with them.”
He added: “The quickest way to prevent casualties is to agree to a ceasefire. Taliban senior leadership should allow their representatives to come to the table and discuss. I will continue to press the case.”