World leaders react to Nice ‘terrorist’ attack
Following are the world main reactions:
US President Barack Obama condemned what he said appeared to be a “horrific terrorist attack”.
“We stand in solidarity and partnership with France, our oldest ally, as they respond to and recover from this attack,” he said in a statement.
“On this Bastille Day, we are reminded of the extraordinary resilience and democratic values that have made France an inspiration to the entire world.”
US Secretary of State John Kerry, who had been in Paris earlier in the day for a Bastille Day parade, said: “The United States will continue to stand firmly with the French people during this time of tragedy. We will provide whatever support is needed.”
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wrote on Twitter: “Canadians are shocked by tonight’s attack in Nice. Our sympathy is with the victims, and our solidarity with the French people.”
Canadians are shocked by tonight’s attack in Nice. Our sympathy is with the victims, and our solidarity with the French people.
— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) July 14, 2016
A spokesman for new British Prime Minister Theresa May called the attack “a terrible incident”, adding “we are shocked and concerned”.
Boris Johnson, whose first engagement as Britain’s new foreign secretary was at the French ambassador’s Bastille Day party in London, said on Twitter: “Shocked and saddened by the appalling events in Nice, and the terrible loss of life.”
New York mayor Bill de Blasio tweeted that he was “sickened by news of another senseless attack”.
European Council President Donald Tusk called it “a sad day for France, for Europe”. He said it was “tragic” that “the subjects of the attack were people celebrating liberty, equality and fraternity.”
Chinese Premier Li Keqiang offered his “condolences” to the victims and said China opposed all forms of terrorism.
The United Nations Security Council called the attack “barbaric and cowardly”.