KARACHI: Senior leader Mutahidda Qaumi Movement-Pakistan Farooq Sattar said on Thursday that he has conveyed to the party’s Bahadurabad group his desire of not contesting the upcoming elections.
‘I’ve informed the Bahadurabad leaders to take a decision feasible to them,” he told media. “The party committee will reach a final judgment on my wish to refrain from contesting elections this time around,” he said.
He insisted that there was only one MQM with a symbol of kite. Sattar said he headed to Bahadurabad without any motive and he was warmly received by the faction leaders.
He said other members of the party should also now demonstrate oneness. The MQM leader said cooperation of Bahadurabad leaders was vital.
He informed that a committee had been formed with mutual consent to address obstacle arising during the electoral process [within the party circles].
He said the hopes of MQM rivals were dashed following unification of the MQM factions in Pakistan.
On June 11, the Islamabad High Court (IHC) had announced its verdict declaring Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui as convener of Mutahidda Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P).
Sattar had earlier approached the IHC against the election commission decision removing him as party convener in March this year.
During the hearing, Babar Sattar appeared before the court on behalf of Dr Sattar and Barrister Farough Naseem represented MQM leader Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui.
Dr Sattar’s counsel had contended before the court that the ECP did not have the jurisdiction to interfere in a political party’s internal affairs.
He had maintained that since the MQM-P was registered under Dr Farooq’s name, the ECP did not have the authority to hear cases by another person who claims to be the party convener.