KARACHI: Another member of the family whose five kids who died yesterday of suspected food poisoning passed away on Saturday (today), ARY News reported.
According to details, the aunt of the five siblings who also reportedly consumed biryani from a known restaurant breathed his last at a local hospital. The woman, along with her five nephews and nieces were admitted to the hospital in a critical condition on February 21.
All of them had reportedly eaten biryani from a restaurant near their hotel.
Police have constituted a team to investigate deaths.
Additional Inspector General Karachi Dr Amir Sheikh directed to form the probe team headed by DIG South Sharjeel Kharral. SSP South Pir Mohammed Shah and SP Tariq Dharejo are also part of the team.
The police team will inspect the crime scene and investigate the case in light of medical report and evidence. The team will apprise the Karachi police chief about developments of the investigation.
On the other hand, provincial ministers, members of provincial assembly and political leaders among others attended funeral prayers of deceased minors at Khanozai Eidgah in Quetta.
In an initial report, the Sindh Food Authority (SFA) had informed the Sindh chief minister on Friday that food samples collected from the Naubahar Restaurant – from where the victims’ father bought food – and Qasar-e-Naz – where the family was staying –, had been sent to a lab for testing.
The victims’ father, Faisal Zaman had come to Karachi from Quetta with his wife Nida Faisal and their five children, including Abdul Ali, Aziz Faisal, Alina, Tauheed and Salwa. Faisal’s sister Beena also accompanied them.
En route to Karachi, the family had lunch in Khuzdar and then briefly stopped at Hub to buy the children snacks.
The family had arrived in Karachi on Thursday evening and checked into Qasr-e-Naz – the government officers’ lodge.
Faisal had bought biryani from the Naubahar Restaurant and brought it to the guest house.
Hours later, Nida’s health had deteriorated and asked her husband to take her to a hospital. As he returned to the guest house after shifting his wife to a private hospital, he had found his children in an unconscious state.
He had immediately moved them to the hospital where they were pronounced dead by doctors.