Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Nishwa’s death: Sindh CM orders to seal Darul Sehat Hospital


KARACHI: Expressing dissatisfaction with the report of Sindh Health Care Commission, Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah here on Wednesday directed to sealed Darul Sehat Hospital over negligence, violation of rules and administering wrong injection to nine-month-old Nishwa, ARY News reported.

The commission in its report had recommended a monetary penalty of Rs. 500,000 on Dar ul Sehat Hospital and ordered the medical facility to sack the ‘untrained’ staff in wake of mistreatment and resultant death of toddler girl Nishwa.

Read More: Dar ul Sehat fined Rs. 500,000 for ‘negligence’ leading to Nishwa’s death

Talking to journalists, Syed Murad Ali Shah said: “I have directed Sindh Health Minister Dr Azra Fazal Pechuho to seal Darul Sehat Hospital.”

The chief minister said that most of the staff at the hospital was untrained and added that no hospital could be run by two people.

Heavy contingents of police arrived at Dar ul Sehat hospital following the announcement by the chief minister.

Talking to ARY News, the Commissioner Karachi Iftikhar Shalwani said that the administration was moving to seal the hospital in question on CM’s orders.

Meanwhile, Sindh Healthcare Commission Chairman Tipu Sultan confirmed that in compliance with the orders of Sindh chief minister, Out Patient Department (OPD) of Darul Sehat had been sealed while ICU and CCU wards, however, were still opened.

He said that they had directed the hospital to continue treatment of the patients who were in critical condition and ordered the administration to shift the rest of all the patients to other hospitals within three days. The chairman further said that they barred the hospital from admission of new patients.

It is pertinent to mention here that officials of the Darul Sehat Hospital reached at Shara-e-Faisal police station in the day  and presented themselves for arrest. Police took three doctors, including senior Professor Dr Rizwan Azmi into custody.

Earlier in the day, the CM Murad arrived at Nishwa’s house to meet father Qaiser Ali and paid condolences. Speaking to journalists at this occasion, he had expressed his ‘dissatisfaction’ with the report and had vowed to take all actions necessary.

Nishwa was brought to Dar ul Sehat hospital on April 14 where an overdose of Potassium Chloride had severely affected her brain, leaving her nearly brain-dead.

She was subsequently transferred to Karachi’s Liaquat National Hospital where she died on Monday, April 22 after remaining under treatment for nearly a week.

Latest Posts