Friday, September 30, 2022

Qasr-e-Naz deaths: report holds fumigation responsible for six family members’ deaths


KARACHI: The fact-finding committee probing the Qasr-e-Naz tragedy has revealed in its report that the six members of the family from Balochistan had died of poisonous fumigation in the room where the ill-fated family stayed, ARY News reported. 

The report held Pakistan Public Works Department (Pak PWD) responsible for the government-owned Qasr-e-Naz guesthouse tragedy and cited that the company’s engineers did not take safety measures while fumigating at the Qasr-e-Naz.

It was mentioned in the report that the guesthouse had been fumigated when the family came from Balochistan to stay there.

The children died of a poisonous chemical, Aluminium Phosphide, which was bought without any tender, reads the report whereas Pak PWD was responsible for the fumigation process at the guesthouse.

The fact-finding committee had earlier sought a detailed report from the relevant officials involved in fumigation at Qasr-e-Naz.

A letter had been sent by the Pakistan Public Works Department, the Government of Pakistan to an executive engineer of the Central Civil Division, Karachi.

The letter asked the executive engineer to provide the relevant record pertaining to the supply of Aluminium Phosphide.

It also sought details regarding the responsibilities of various officials, including the sub-engineer, assistant executive engineer, executive engineer and superintending engineer.

Read More: Six family members’ death: New report points finger at PWD officials

Earlier, a report compiled by Pakistan Public Works Department (PWD) officials, on March 10, had revealed that the anti-bug spray of Aluminum Phosphide led to the death of six members of a family that had stayed at Qasre Naz last month.

According to the latest findings, five siblings – two sisters and three brothers – and their aunt died owing to fumigation in the state guest room where they had stayed after their arrival from Quetta.

The report said PWD engineers and other relevant officials didn’t take precautionary measures with regard to fumigation. Moreover, the chemical was purchased without following due legal process as neither a tender was invited nor approval from the department was sought.


Latest Posts