Army takes over charge of operation against ‘Chotu Gang’ in Rajanpur
According to DG Inter-Services Public Relations Major General Asim Saleem Bajwa, police and Rangers would continue to take part in the operation under army.
“Whatever resources are required will be employed to accomplish the mission,” said Bajwa.
Op in Kacha:Army troops deployed.Take over charge of op.Cordon reinforced,Police&Rangers already in op will cont to participate under Army-1
— Gen Asim Bajwa (@AsimBajwaISPR) April 16, 2016
Until April 15, six policemen had already been killed in the operation launched Thursday against members of the “Choto gang” on an island in the Indus river in Rajanpur. Up to 1,500 officers were involved in the failed raid against some 150 men armed with rocket launchers and machine guns, authorities said.
Op in Kacha:Whatever resources required,will be employed to accomplish mission. Updated Info about op will be shared regularly-2 — Gen Asim Bajwa (@AsimBajwaISPR) April 16, 2016
“Our cops attempted to reach their base by two boats in the river, and the criminals came right in front of them and there was heavy exchange of fire,” said a police officer.
The criminals were armed with “rocket launchers, machine guns and anti-aircraft guns”, he said.
So far six policemen have been killed with 24 taken hostage, he said.
Officials announced last week that the military in coordination with law enforcement agencies had launched a new crackdown in southern Punjab in the wake of an Easter attack on a park in Lahore that killed more than 70 people.
The operation against the gang began on April 1, officials said, with police confining the gang members to a roughly 10 kilometre area.