A quick look at contestants of general elections 2018
KARACHI: The aspiring candidates for general elections 2018 are flooding the Election Commission of Pakistan with their nomination papers, especially after the deadline for filing papers reached on Monday (June 11).
Several political heavyweights filed their nomination papers to contest from multiple constituencies, especially for the National Assembly. The election commission had extended the date for submitting nomination papers by three days from June 8 to June 11.
The ECP said the extension was given for the submission of nomination papers to facilitate the political parties and their nominees. In addition to the above, the deadline to verify and scrutinize the validity of the nomination papers was changed from June 14 to June 19.
The last day to file appeals against any decision of the returning officers was extended til June 22.
On June 27 the verdicts on appeals will be announced after which the revised list of the candidates will be issued on June 28.
Below is the list of candidates and prominent party leaders who have submitted nomination papers so far.
The heavyweights contesting for NA
- PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto to contest from NA-200 (Larkana), NA-246 (Karachi) and NA-8 (Malakand). Aseefa Bhutto is a covering candidate of Bilawal for NA-200, Larkana seat.
- PTI chief Imran Khan will contest from NA-243 (Karachi). Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui of MQM and Shehla Raza of the PPP are also running from the same constituency. This constituency has been created after 2018 delimitation.
- PML-N’s Maryam Nawaz to make her electoral debut by contesting from NA-127 (Lahore).
- Former PM Raja Pervez Ashraf will run for NA-58.
- ANP chief Asfandyar Wali filed nomination papers for NA-24 (Charsadda).
- Shehbaz Sharif to contest from NA-192 Dera Ghazi Khan and NA-132 Lahore.
- Javed Hashmi will contest from NA-155 (Multan)
- Sheikh Rasheed for NA-60 and NA-62 from Rawalpindi
- PSP chief Mustafa Kamal will contest from NA-247, NA-253, PS-127 and PS-124, respectively
- PML-N’s Khawaja Saad Rafique will contest from NA-134 (Lahore)
- Ex-president Asif Ali Zardari for NA-213, Nawabshah (Shaheed Benazirabad-I)
- Asif Ali Zardari’s sister Faryal Talpur will contest for PS-10 (Ratodero), Larkana
- PML-N’s Khawaja Asif for NA-73 (Sialkot)
- Former prime minister Yousuf Raza Gillani to contest from NA-158 Multan
- Chaudhry Nisar (as an independent candidate) for NA-63 (Taxila) and NA-59 (Rawalpindi)
- PML-N’s ex-prime minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi for NA-57 (Rawalpindi)
- Syed Khursheed Ahmed Shah for NA-206 (Sukkur-I)
- MQM-H’s Afaq Ahmed for NA-240
- ANP’s Shahi Syed for NA-250
- JI’s Hafiz Naeem ur Rehman for NA-256 (Karachi)
- PTI’s Aamir Liqauat is also running for NA-245 (Karachi)
- Ex-chief minister KP Pervez Khattak will be contesting from NA-26. PTI dissident Ayesha Gulalai is also running against Khattak from the same constituency.
The hot seat
The NA-247 constituency is one of the few constituencies where predictions for a winner will remain uncertain. The contestants for the constituency are Jamaat-e-Islami’s Karachi chief Hafiz Naeem ur Rehman, PSP chief Mustafa Kamal, MQM-P leader Dr Farooq Sattar, PTI leader Dr Arif Alvi, human rights activist Jibran Nasir (independent) and APML president Pervez Musharraf. The participation of Mr. Musharraf is subject to clearance from the court.
- PML-N’s Sheikh Rohail Asghar for NA-128
- PTI’s Malik Kramat Khokhar for NA-134
- Barrister Hammad Azhar of PTI to contest from NA-126
- PTI’s Numan Qaiser for NA-124
- PML-N’s Mushahidullah Khan for NA-249 (Karachi)
- PML-N’s Zaeem Qadri for NA-125 (Lahore)
- PML-N Lahore President Pervaiz Malik NA-125 (Lahore)
- PPP’s Zahid Iqbal for NA-123 (Lahore)
- PTI’s Karamat Ali for NA-135 (Lahore)
- PTI’s Abdul Aleem Khan for NA-129 (Lahore)
- PML-Q’s Chaudhry Pervez Elahi for NA 69 (Gujrat)
- PML-Q’s Chaudhry Hussain Elahi for NA-68 (Gujrat)
- PTI’s Nadeem Afzal Chan submitted nomination papers as an independent candidate
- PTI’s Sadaqat Ali for NA-57 (Rawalpindi)
- PML-N’s Engr Qamar Islam for NA-59 (Rawalpindi)
- MMA’s Mian Zafar Yasin for NA-61 (Rawalpindi)
- APML’s Sardar Hafeezur Rehman for NA-189 (Taunsa Sharif)
- APML secretary general Dr Amjad for NA 52 and 53 (Islamabad)
- Karachi Deputy Mayor and PSP leader Arshad Vohra for NA-254 (Karachi)
- MQM-P’s Ali Raza Abidi for NA-243 and NA-244 (Karachi)
- PSP’s Jamil Rathore for NA-227 (Hyderabad)
- Ayaz Motiwala from Karachi for NA-243 (Karachi), he is also vying for two provincial assembly seats
- Aftab Shaban Meerani from Shikarpur for NA-202 (Shahdad Kot)
- Peoples Movement of Pakistan’s Anwar Ahmed for NA-243 (Karachi)
- PML-N’s Babar Nawaz and PTI’s Umar Ayub for NA-17 (Haripur Hazara)
- JUI-F’s Hafiz Hussain Ahmed on MMA ticket for NA-266 (Quetta)
PPP unveils list of its candidates:
NA-196 (Jacobabad) Mir Ijaz Hussain Jakhrani
NA-197 (Kashmore) Ehsan Mazari
NA-198 (Shikarpur-I) Mir Abid Bhayo
NA-199 (Shikarpur-II) Mr. Zulfiqar Kumario
NA-201 (Larkana-II) Mr. Khursheed Junejo
NA-204 (Ghotki-I) Sardar Khalid Khan Lund
NA-205 (Ghotki-II) Ahsanullah Sundrani
NA-207 (Sukkur-II) Mr. Nauman Islam-ud-Din Shaikh
NA-211 (Naushehro Feroze-I) Syed Abrar Ali Shah
NA-212 (Naushehro Feroze-II) Mr. Zulfiqar Ali Behan
NA-214 (Shaheed Benazirabad-II) Syed Ghulam Mustafa Shah
NA-218 (Mirpurkhas-I) Pir Hassan Ali Shah
NA-219 (Mirpurkhas-II) Mir Munawar Ali Talpur
NA-220 (Umerkot) Nawab Yousuf Talpur
NA-221 (Tharparkar-I) Pir Noor Muhammed Shah Jillani
NA-223 (Matiari) Makhdoom Jameel-uz-Zaman
NA-224 (Tando Allah Yar) Mr. Zulfiqar Sattar bachani
NA-225 (Hyderabad-I) Syed Hussain Tariq Jamote
NA-226 (Hyderabad-II) Mr. Ali Muhammed Sahto
NA-227 (Hyderabad-III) Dr. Irfan Gull Magsi
NA-228 (Tando Muhammad Khan) Syed Naveed Qamar
NA-229 (Badin-I) Mir Ghulam Ali Talpur
NA-230 (Badin-II) Haji Rasool Bux Chandio
NA-231 (Sujawal) Syed Ayaz Ali Shah Shirazi
NA-232 (Thatta) Mrs. Shams-un-Nisa Memon
NA-233 (Jamshoro) Mr. Sikander Rahupoto
NA-234 (Dadu-I) Imran Zafar Leghari
NA-235 (Dadu-II) Sardar Rafiq Ahmed Jamali
NA-236 (Malir-I) Jam Abdul Karim Jokhio
NA-238 (Malir-III) Mr. Agha Rafiullah
NA-239 (Korangi Karachi-I) Syed Imran Haider Abidi
NA-240 (Korangi Karachi-II) Mr. Shaikh Muhammed Feroz
NA-241 (Korangi Karachi-III) Mr. Moazzam Ali Qureshi
NA-242 (Karachi East-I) Mr. Iqbal Sandh
NA-243 (Karachi East-II) Mrs. Shehla Raza
NA-244 (Karachi East-III) Col. Asad Alam Niazi
NA-245 (Karachi East-IV) Mr. Farrukh Niaz Tanoli
NA-247 (Karachi South-II) Mr. Abdul Aziz Memon
NA-248 (Karachi West-I) Mr. Abdul Qadir Patel
NA-249 (Karachi-West-II) Mr. Qadir Khan Mandokhel
NA-250 (Karachi West-III) Mr. Ali Ahmed
NA-251 (Karachi West-IV) Haji Muhammed Jameel Zia
NA-253 (Karach Central-I) Mr. Amjadullah Khan
NA-254 (Karachi Central-II) Mr. Danish Turabi
NA-255 (Karachi Central-III) Mr. Zafar Siddiqui
NA-256 (Karachi Centarl-IV) Mr. Sajid Hassan