CTD in-charge says RAW behind attack on Chinese consulate
KARACHI: Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) In-Charge Raja Umar Khattab on Saturday said Indian intelligence agency, the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), was behind the attack on Chinese consulate in Karachi, ARY News reported.
“Such an attack could not be executed without reconnaissance. The terrorists had ample knowledge of the consulate. Investigation is underway to find out from where they arrived,” he said while talking to media.
Umar Khattab said presence of commander of the proscribed Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) Aslam alias Acchu in India was being investigated.
The BLA had claimed responsibility of the attack on the Chinese consulate and Aslam was the attack mastermind. Aslam is currently being treated at Max Hospital in New Delhi. He had fled to India immediately after being injured in an operation by the Pakistani forces in Balochistan’s Sibi district.
The CTD in-charge said the terrorists attacked police personnel guarding the consulate at the first point, which resultantly martyred two policemen, both father and son.
He said arrests had been made in the incident, however he could not share their details at this point as it could benefit them. He said the number of assailants was three and all of them were shot dead on the spot.
The senior police officer said the C-4 explosive material recovered from the terrorists was not improvised explosive device, rather it was quite possible that those, who made them carry out this attack, would have provided them that.
At least three terrorists were killed as security forces and police foiled the terror attack targeting the Chinese Consulate in Karachi.
Two policemen embraced martyrdom in exchange of fire with the three terrorists armed with suicide jackets. Two civilians were also killed in the attack.
Read More: Pro-India militant organization claims responsibility for failed attack on Chinese Consulate
Karachi Police Chief Amir Shaikh told media that the three attackers came in a car filled with explosives but failed to get inside the heavily fortified compound.
“They tried to get inside but the Rangers and police killed one of the terrorists,” Shaikh said.
A gun battle broke out with the two other attackers, but they were also killed, he added.
“There were three attackers and all three have been killed,” Shaikh said. “They could not even get in the compound. They tried to get into the visa section”.
Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi confirmed that all officials and staff present inside the consulate were safe as security forces foiled the attack within no time.
The foreign minister told media that forces and police killed all three terrorists and secured the area.
Prime Minister Imran Khan, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi, Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry and other ministers and politicians condemned the attack and termed it a conspiracy against Pak-China friendship.