The news is by your side.

Eight children die after eating turtle in Madagascar

ANTANANARIVO: Eight children have died after suffering acute food poisoning believed to have been caused by eating sea turtle meat in northern Madagascar, the country’s health service said on Tuesday.

The consumption of sea turtles and 24 other fish species by humans is not recommended by experts, as they are known to consume toxic algae that can prove lethal in the summer months.

“Twenty-seven people suffered food poisoning, of which eight died between Jan. 8 and Jan. 9 after eating sea turtle,” said health ministry representative Borohany Said.

Police confirmed that all of those who died were children.

In December eight people died from acute food poisoning in the same province, Antsiranana, after eating contaminated sardinella fish.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email



You might also like