Fawad says 20,000 FIRs registered against electricity thieves
ISLAMABAD: Minister for Information and Broadcasting Fawad Chaudhry on Monday said rampant crackdown against power thieves has started showing its positive impact.
In his tweet, the minister said the first information reports (FIRs) have been registered against more than 20,000 people on charges of power pilferage, while at least 2,000 persons including 500 government employees were rounded up in the country wide campaign.
The government has managed to bring down electricity theft and saved Rs 42 billion, so far in the campaign, he continued in his tweet.
بجلی چوری پر بڑے کریک ڈاؤن کےمثبت اثرات سامنے آنا شروع ہو گئے ہیں، بجلی چوری کی اس مہم میں بیس ہزار پرچے درج ہوئے ہیں، دو ہزار لوگ گرفتار ہیں ان میں پانچ سو کے لگ بھگ محکمہ بجلی کے ملازمین ہیں،اب تک اس مہم کے نتیجے میں بتالیس ارب روپے کی بجلی چوری اور نقصانات کی بیخ کنی ہوئ ہے
— Ch Fawad Hussain (@fawadchaudhry) March 25, 2019
Back in the month of October 2018, Prime Minister Imran Khan had directed for immediate steps to bring down the electricity prices and reduce additional burden on consumers due to pilferage and other damages in the power sector.
The prime minister, while chairing a meeting of energy task force had said it is unacceptable that common people suffer due to theft and mismanagement of others.