ISLAMABAD: The Foreign Office (FO) on Friday summoned Indian High Commissioner Gautam Bambawale to lodge protest over unprovoked firing by Indian Border Security Force from across the Working Boundary near Sialkot.
At least six people were killed and 26 others wounded when Indian forces resorted to firing from across the Working Boundary in the Chappar, Harpal, and Charwa Sectors, according to a statement of the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR).
The Foreign Office told the Indian diplomat that despite calls for restraint, India continued to indulge in ceasefire violations with more than 600 such incidents along the LoC and the Working Boundary. The firing incidents resulted in the death of more than 30 innocent civilians and injuries to around 150 others, as compared to 382 ceasefire violations last year.
The foreign office in Islamabad said the deliberate targeting of civilians by the Indian forces is deplorable and contrary to human dignity and international human rights and humanitarian laws.
Pakistan has urged the Indian side to respect the 2003 ceasefire arrangement, investigate the latest and other incidents of ceasefire breach, and order the Indian forces to respect the ceasefire agreement in letter and spirit and maintain peace along the LoC.
The cross border firing incidents on the Line of Control (LoC) are common in the Himalayan territory, which has been divided between Pakistan and India, but it is claimed by both countries in its entirety.