Gunmen slaughter 20 labourers in Turbat
The area is plagued by violence, with separatists seeking greater control over the province’s rich oil, gas and mineral resources and gunmen have previously targeted outsiders seen as settlers.
“Armed gunmen stormed the camp of labourers in Gokh Don area of Baluchistan late Friday night and killed 20 labourers,” senior police official Tariq Khilji told AFP.
He said those killed were all from outside the province — 16 of them from Punjab and four from Sindh province.
The incident, which occurred around 1,050 kilometres (650 miles) southwest of Quetta, was confirmed by Akbar Hussain Durrani, a senior administration official in the province.
“The labourers were working on construction of a small local bridge,” he said.
Hussain said some of the labourers reported being woken from their sleep by the sound of gunshots and screams.
“They had lined them up and shot them at point blank range after identifying their identity,” he said.
Hussain said paramilitary troops were guarding the labourers but fled when confronted by a large number of armed attackers.
Nobody has claimed responsibility for the incident but Hussain said insurgents have attacked non-Baluch settlers in the area in the past.
Law enforcement agencies have launched the search operation for the arrest of terrorists involved in the heinous killing.
Chief Minister of Balochistan, Dr. Abdul Malik has strongly condemned the killing and asked authorities to arrange helicopter to shift dead bodies of the workers to their home town.
Dr. Malik has also announced to hand Rs. 1 million each to the survivors of deceased and Rs. 50,000 each to those who got injured.
Furthermore, CM Balochistan will visit Turbat to chair high level meeting regarding the incident occurred.
Prime Minister Mian Mohammad Nawaz Sharif has strongly denounced the killing of twenty labourers.
In a statement, the Prime Minister has expressed deep grief and sorrow over the incident. He has sought report of the incident.
PM Nawaz has reaffirmed the government’s resolve to eliminate terrorism from the country.
Federal Interior Minister, Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan contacted CM Balochistan Dr. Abdul Malik, and condemned the brutal killing of construction workers.
Chief of Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) Altaf Hussain while denouncing the incident demanded immediate arrest of terrorists.
In a statement, Altaf Hussain said those who shed the blood of innocent people have no religion adding that they neither deserve to be called a Muslim nor human.