Helpline 1099 set up for victims of human rights violations
ISLAMABAD: Ministry of Human Rights has established helpline number 1099 to report in case of any violation of human rights in the country.
The public are requested to contact on this number 24/7 to serve the humanity.
The purpose of this initiative is to discourage any kind of human rights violation in the society.
Human rights are the fundamental rights that belong to every person in the world, regardless of their race, religion, color and sex, from birth to death.
Sometimes human rights can be restricted — for instance if a person violates the law or interests of national security.
The human rights are based on shared values such as dignity, fairness, equality, respect and independence.
Fundamental rights are enshrined in the constitution of Islamic Republic of Pakistan. Chapter 1 of the constitution contains articles about the rights.
Articles 8 to 28 of the constitution details all the fundamental rights provided to the citizens of Pakistan, which are following:
- No person shall be deprived of life or liberty, save in accordance with law (article 9)
- All arrested person must be informed of grounds of their arrest, they have right to consult and defended by lawyer of their choice.
- Right of fair trial under article 10-A
- Slavery, forced labor is prohibited and no child under age of 14 year be employed in factory and mines.
- There shall be protection against retrospective punishment
- There shall be protection against double punishment and self-incrimination.
- Freedom of movement to everyone
- Freedom of assembly for all citizens
- Freedom of association for all citizens
- There shall be freedom of trade, business and profession for all citizens.
- Freedom of speech for all citizens
- All citizens shall have right to have access to information in all matters of public importance under article 19-A.
- Freedom to profess religion and to manage religious institution in country
- Safeguard against the taxation for the purposes of any particular religion.
- Safeguard as to educational institutes in respect of religion etc.
- All citizens have right to acquire, hold and dispose of property in any part of Pakistan.
- Protection of property is right of owners.
- All citizens are equal and there shall be no discrimination on bases of sex etc.
- Free and compulsory education to all children of age 5 to 16 by government
- No discrimination in respect of access to public places.
- Safeguard against discrimination in services.
- All citizens have right to preserve their particular language, script and culture