The news is by your side.

Fire at multi-storey building claims two lives in Karachi, eight wounded

KARACHI: At least two persons lost their lives while eight others were scorched in the blaze at Karachi’s multi-storey building situated in Gulshan-e-Iqbal area of Karachi, ARY News reported.

At least 50 citizens were trapped and at least eight sustained burn wounds as fire engulfed four to five floors of the building.

A senior police officer confirmed that two persons lost their lives who jumped off the building in order to save their lives. The deceased person was identified as Jehanzeb, Superintendent Police (SP) Gulshan said. He added that five persons including women were wounded in the fire incident.

Police officials said that the blaze was spread from the 12th floor after an in air conditioner’s duct caught fire which caused smoke in the building. The lift of the building has stopped working after the blaze, they said. They admitted that fire fighting vehicle and staff have arrived late to the site.

The building has been sealed by the local authorities, police said.

Executive Director of Jinnah Hospital, Seemi Jamali, confirmed that the dead body of a 35-year-old man was brought to the hospital. She said that five persons, who were affected by smoke, have been released after initial medical treatment.

Rescue sources said that five affectees were shifted to Jinnah Hospital and three were sent to Civil Hospital for medical treatment.

Rescue sources said that the firefighters have successfully brought to fire under control and departed from the location.

Several vehicles of the fire brigade, rescue teams and snorkel arrived in at the fire site and evacuated trapped people.

Helicopters of the Pakistan Navy also took part in the rescue operation and consistently flying around the affected building. The trapped persons have been evacuated safely through helicopters, the Pakistan Navy spokesperson said.

More than 50 persons were trapped inside and rooftop of the building where the fire is spreading with time. The trapped citizens were waiting for help for more than one hour as no rescue machinery and fire tenders reached the site. Two persons reportedly jumped from the building to save his life, whereas, many people were seen making attempts to come down through ropes.

Taking notice of ARY reports, the management of Karachi Water and Sewerage Board (KWSB) imposed emergency in Safora and Nipsa hydrants. KWSB Managing Director said that water-filled tankers were immediately being dispatched to the blaze site.

Karachi Mayor Waseem Akhtar, while taking notice of the building blaze, directed to take immediate steps for evacuating people from the building. He directed the administration to increase manpower and fire fighting vehicles to conduct the rescue operation.



You might also like