Inquiry against Chaudhry brothers closed over lack of evidence: NAB
ISLAMABAD: The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) clarified on Tuesday that it shelved an inquiry against Pakistan Muslim League (PML-Q) leaders Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain and Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi in a Lahore Development Authority (LDA) case over lack of evidence, ARY News reported.
“NAB chairman Justice (retd) Javed Iqbal didn’t decide to close the probe. The decision to close the inquiry was taken during a meeting of NAB’s executive board,” a spokesperson for the anti-graft watchdog said in a statement.
“Linking the NAB chairman with the closure of the probe is ill-founded,” he said and added the inquiry was closed for want of evidence.
Last week, the corruption watchdog closed the inquiry against the Chaudhry brothers and filed an interim reference in the accountability court. It had initiated the probe against them over purchase of 28 plots in LDA city.
No document or verbal evidence came to the record against the PML-Q leaders, according to the reference filed in the court.
It is pertinent to mention here that NAB launched the probe against the Chaudhry brothers during the regime of former military ruler General (retd) Pervez Musharraf following the approval of the NAB chairman.