Centre has no right to reduce provinces’ share in NFC Award: Murtaza Wahab
KARACHI: The Sindh government on Thursday reacted to an statement by federal Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry regarding adjustments in the National Finance Commission (NFC) Award.
The federal minister had said during press conference earlier that shares of all provinces would have be reduced and diverted for development of FATA. He said three percent share of resources would be allotted for the tribal areas.
However, provincial adviser Murtaza Wahab took exception to the federal minister’s statement, warning that the federal government does not have the authority to reduce or make any adjustments in the share of the provinces.
“Federal government has no right to reduce the quota of provinces in the NFC Award,” he said, adding that all decisions regarding NFC Award were taken in accordance with the constitution.
He cautioned that no decision can be made regarding the NFC Award without consultation and taking the provincial governments into confidence.
He said the merger of FATA with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa was the result of the efforts and struggle of the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), and they desired development and prosperity in the region.
“Any decision regarding NFC Award without consulting the provinces would be undemocratic,” he said.
He also criticised the formation of task force by the federal government on Karachi, calling it tantamount to interference in the affairs of the province, and cautioned the Centre from taking any unconstitutional measures.
The federal information minister had announced that task had been formed to resolve the issues of Karachi particularly water and security related issues. He said that task force would be headed by Governor Sindh and would also be decide on the utilisation of funds for developmental projects in the city.